Pages

Sunday, June 05, 2011

Thoughts on Memorial Day {late}

Happy Sunday, all.

As I mentioned in my post recounting my adventures in Texas I wanted to share some thoughts on Memorial Day with you...even if it is a bit late.

Days like Memorial Day are always important to me for a number of reasons:

1) Whether I agree with a given war or US presence in other countries or not, the men and women who leave their families, homes, and the safety of our borders are making incredible sacrifices not only for their own families, but for yours and mine...even though they may never know us face to face.

2) I truly love our country.  While our nation is far from perfect, I think we often forget how good we have it here in the States.  We are truly blessed with the freedoms and privileges generation after generation of our fellow Americans have so valiantly fought to preserve.

3) I know soldiers.  I know families of soldiers.  I know friends of soldiers.  While I will never ask those who have served what they have experienced during their time of service (but will always listen if they want/need to share), it is often written on their faces: the trouble they have seen and the heartache they have experienced...whether it be locked away in memories or visible to everyone in wounds they suffered.  But no matter what it is they have gone through, I always see humility, courage, and pride in our country and what they have/are fighting for.

On my flight leaving Austin this Tuesday, I had the honor and privilege of sitting next to a tall, quiet soldier. 

This man had been home on leave for 15 days to spend time with his family before returning to his tour.  The pain he was experiencing in leaving his family, yet again, was clear as he sat with his head in his hands, elbows resting on his knees, or resting his head on the back of his seat, eyes closed, hands clasped together with thumbs rolling.  It was evident to me that he believes in what he does for our country, but that doesn't wash away the fact that he was again leaving his family and that the possibility of not returning was again very real.

We didn't talk much...  I would have loved to have had more conversation with him, but with his mind so obviously processing what was happening, I kept my silence for the short flight to DFW and allowed him his solitude.  Once we landed we had to sit on the landing strip for a bit before we could proceed to the gate - this afforded me the opportunity to thank him for his sacrifice and service.

When I looked into this soldier's eyes as I thanked him, I saw incredible gratitude mixed with the sadness of leaving.  DFW is where they ship out from, he told me.  In that moment I saw a hint of tears welling in his eyes.  I wanted to ask him about his family, if he and his wife had children, and so much more.  But decided to spare him.  This leg of his tour will be for 6 months, he told me.  6 months is a long time to be away from the comforts of home and the love of family, but he was grateful for the shortness of this time away from home.

As we parted ways in the terminal I thanked him again, told him to be safe, and sent him with the Lord's blessing.  The awe in his face was heart-wrenching and I had to work hard to hold my own tears back.  He thanked me and told me to be sure to take care of myself.  I spent the remainder of my day and much of this week praying for this man and his fellow soldiers. 

How easy it is to go-on with our day-to-day life and not think twice about the men and women who make this life possible.

How easy it is for us to forget the ones who leave home so that we don't have to. 
...So that we don't have to live in fear. 
...So that we can freely worship our God.

Don't forget them. 
Don't forget the ones who have served before we were even a thought in our mothers' minds. 
Don't forget the ones who have served while we have grown up in comfort and safety. 
Don't forget the ones who are serving now to preserve that comfort and safety we have grown so accustomed to. 
Don't forget the ones who have given their lives for ours. 
Don't forget the families who sacrifice their sons and daughters so that we don't have to.

Remember how and why our country exists and persists.

I am certain that I will never forget this soldier.  The short time I spent sitting next to him has impacted me in a way I will never forget. 

I have sometimes forgotten what it was like to have my cousin serving so far away and in harms way, now that he is home and safe, though still serving our country...though still in harms way.  Somehow it is less frightening knowing that he is in America where we have excellent doctors and facilities that could help save him, should the unthinkable happen.  But, he is still serving and putting his life on the line for the safety of others.

It's easy to forget.  This is one of the reasons days like Memorial Day are so important - they force us to remember and recognize what we have and why we have it.

I cannot fully express the gratitude I have for the sacrifice of those serving in our armed forces, but I do thank you and your friends and families for their sacrifice.

Remember.

Shalom,
~MW

2 comments:

Brian said...

Wow, wonderful post...thanks Heather

love,

Dad

Anonymous said...

Yeah Heather, so glad to have raised a patriot...I know you get a bit misty eyed when then red, white and blue flies for our men and women! PTL. Loved this post and appreciated the time you took to verbalize. Forwarding your thoughts to encourage a few fine folks I know! Love Ya, Mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...