Pages

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Reviews and Arm Screws...?

So, today was day one of subbing for me - ever. And let me just tell you now: teaching is so totally my thing! I LOVE it. Am I totally and completely 100% exhausted at this moment in time?? YES. Absolutely. I'd be lying to you if I even tried to say anything different right now. BUT, I absolutely canNOT wait to go back to love on those kids some more tomorrow.

Ok, so how did today go?? {Well, as I'm sure you've gathered from my opening...} After waking up to one of the most amazing text messages one could ever receive, from my darling Mak, I started my day with an extra little skip in my step. Didn't leave the house quite when I wanted to, but I still got to school with plenty of time to settle in and prepare myself for a day full of 7th and 8th graders :D {Seriously, total bliss} First period got off to a good start with my first class of 7th graders - precious, precious kids, like really. They were very cheery and welcoming, even though it was 8am and the first class of the day. They did an outstanding job with their warm-up exercise and work so beyond diligently on their exam reviews, allowing me a quiet 30min stretch to take it all in and observe them quietly and contently. Most them made really good progress on their review which should make tomorrow pretty easy to get through with them. They left for 2nd period with smiles on their faces and got plenty of "See you tomorrow, Miss Cummins!" {Still trips me out to be called Miss Cummins...yikes, I'm getting old!!}
2nd period gave me my first dose of 8th graders...huge differene between the two grades, I mean, major. These kids seem so grown up! I could hardly believe it. A little more willing to tow the line, but still very respectful and willing to help me out when there were uncertainties as to how things are done in their classroom. I mean, there were, of course, those kids who were all, "Oh! Miss Cummins! I know how we do that....," complete with "angelic grin". My response, "Ehhh! WRRRAANNGGG!!!" (Mario Twins, anyone??) Ok, so I did not respond to the kids by quoting Group X videos, but it went through my head, lol. I did however see right through their attempts to "help" me settle in. Haha, they think they are so sly! Depending on the dynamic of the period I would kind of play along with some of the kids and then just totally broad-side them with "Yeah, except that, I know that's not how it is done..." Insert looks of shock, horror, and "Aw, man!" Haha. Priceless. The rest of the morning went really smoothly and I rarely had to ask the kids to do or not do something twice - is this real life!?

LUNCH DUTY! Oh my gosh those kids are LOUD!!!!! I was already suffering from a sinus headache, add the acoustics of a cinderblock, mirror-walled (it doubles as the dance team room), tile-floored lunch room, complete with oh...70+ 7th and 8th graders laughing and talking/shouting at the top of their lungs for a good 45min and you have a perfect recipe for misery. Awesome. It was great though, because I got to visit with one of my old teachers, whom I adored (and still do). That was super great.

My two periods after lunch were a bit more challenging than the first 4. It's after lunch and getting to be the end of the day...the kids are just ready to go home at that point. Here come some stories, though...oh man, 7th period was a rough one. But first about my 6th period 7th graders. I LOVED them!! While they were a little "A.D.D." it was super great to actually get to interact with them. They asked questions!! They asked for help! We had a class discussion about some of the questions on their review!! Oh, it was so great. THAT, my friends, is what I love doing - interacting with the kids and teaching! So yeah, that was great. But 7th period...oh 7th period - more 8th graders. WOW. There really are no words for these kids! I mean, absolutely and positively endearing, but wow...crazy. I had to get rough with them. I was insanely close to writing a few d-halls. Probably should have, but if the kids behave this week their teacher will let them make their own seating chart when they get back from spring break...I would so hate to have to take that away from them. If I have to write down one name, that's it - no free seating. So yeah, I'm trying to work with them, but man do they push it! I actually had to bust out the old "Do NOT make me start counting..." Haha. It was rich. These two boys had decided that it was totally ok to get up from their seats and start shoving this one kids arm (which he recently had surgery on...they had to put in screws he's on this mechanical brace, yada, yada...) in this one girls face! She's freaking out because he's making the screw poke out a bit and the two boys are just absolutely loving it. I calmly asked them to please return to their seats...nothing. Well, ok, I'll raise my voice a little bit...maybe they can't hear me? Nope. Alright, here we go: "P, T...do NOT make me start counting. Leave R alone; go SIT down at your desks; and, WORK on your reviews, please. If I have to start counting it will not be fun for you." Oh my goodness, you should have seen their faces. The entire class stopped, turned back around to their desks, the hoodlums returned to their desks, and they all started working on their reviews. SCORE!!! Haha, I'm not gonna lie, I was a wee bit proud of myself...shocked that I could be that stern and still keep my cool. I can't wait to be a mom :) They were still fun kids, though. Haha, this one little boy totally tried to flirt with me throughout the whole class period - it was all I could do to not laugh out loud. SO, so funny!

I am utterly smitten with these kids...yes, after one day. I'm already sad thinking about leaving them on Friday :( Ridiculous of me, I know. But, I love them...what can I say?!

I am positively in heaven working with the kiddos. I know every day won't and can't be as fun as today was for me, but nothing is ever all rainbows and butterflies. And, I mean I survived the 7th period devils, so that has to be something to cling to, ya?? I think yes :)

Oki doki, olies, I'm calling it quits for now...it's LOST time, yo!!! WHOOP!! Hooray for LOST and tea. Mmmmm, divine.

As is so often the case, I'm not proofing this post...sorry kids, I'm tired.

Shalom!
~MW

4 comments:

T said...

sooo glad it went well my dear! You belong in the classroom =) And why is it the most challenging class is your LAST one?? My 8th period kids aaaaaalways pushed me too much!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad it went well and that you enjoyed it! I can totally see you being all sweet then getting stern. hahaha.
Love you!

♥ S. said...

Sounds like fun! I'm so happy for you! I can't wait to be a REAL teacher! =) I'm even thinking of certifying for middle-grade math and science! I can come to you for pointers. Are you thinking of going to teaching route now?

Miss you!

Christian H said...

"Haha, this one little boy totally tried to flirt with me throughout the whole class period - it was all I could do to not laugh out loud. SO, so funny!"

My brother had a grade nine (I think it was nine) teacher once who hit on the students, but she'd only hit on the jocks. It's a little less funny when you turn it around.

I know what you mean about knowing you'll miss them; every time I help with children's programs, I'm always sad to see the kids go. I imagine that one day I'll run into one of them (we live in the same city, after all), but it never happens.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...