Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

A fresh week!

Salutations! (Charlotte's Web, anyone??)

This week is seeming to be off to a better start (yes, I am well aware that it is only Monday...)! Yesterday, other than the botched attempt at trying a new church (all I'm saying is that the street I was supposed to turn onto does not exist...it's just not there...I drove around for 20min trying to find it and it simply was not there...stupid FT streets...hmph!), was a rather productive day!

I ran a ton of errands (including grocery shopping - best experience yet!) and did a ton of cleaning around the apartment - my desk is no longer a heaping pile of...well...crap. Everything has now been filed away and has it's very own appropriate place in my new home (all of the, "hmmm...not sure what to do with you - I'll deal with you later" things ended up on top of my desk - it was more than awful.). So, that was quite the accomplishment! I cooked some stuffs for my dinners and such after all of the errands (we'll get to all of that in a moment) and cleaned my crazy trashed kitchen that followed that project. I love my kitchen right now - it's gorgeous, I'm just sayin'.

But, errands! Oh the adventures running errands brings. Though not completely successful, they went pretty well. I am still in serious search of Moleskines...my life kind of depends on them. Yes, I am well aware that I can simply purchase these little life essentials online from Moleskine directly...but the I have to wait. Y'all, I'm down to like 4pages in my last cahier!!! I just might die. I'll try not to, but I make no promises. Anywho, aside from my Moleskine search being a bust I got a lot of other stuff done that I needed to!

I went to Target and got the drain baskets I've been needing to get so that I no longer am looking down gaping holes when I take a shower or brush my teeth...I no longer have to fear dropping my Aggie ring or my earrings or something, either. Whew! I also picked up a few things I'd been needing to get for my cubbie in the lab so I can actually settle-into it. Like school supplies!!!!!!!!!!


I got a trashcan and a board and some peg-board peg/hook thingys so I can store some stuffs in my cubbie - like my ladybug from Mika, my butterflies from Momma, pictures of my peeps, verses to keep me sane in the world of evolutionists/athiests/agnostics/etc...you know, the stuff of life :)

I got a lovely new pot (and some potting soil, or course) for my ground orchid, so I could re-pot her and hopefully be rid of those blast scale insects!! Ugh, they gross me out...yes, I just said that a bug grosses me out. These little buggers are just plain mean, though! They infest my beautiful, beautiful orchid, that I've had for over a year now and has given me two absolutely lovely blooming events, and they suck the life out of her!! How incredibly rude!! She does, however, have a lovely new shoot growing - gives me hope that she'll pull through alright.



Picked up a little something "for" Jakers...CHILDPROOFING LOCKS FOR MY CABINET DOORS! In case you haven't heard, he's taken to opening the cabinet under my sink and pulling out my trash can and throwing my trash around everywhere...lovely. So, to remedy the situation I decided I'd childproof my cabinets. With some help from the neighbor I got them all installed last night.


I was so proud of my defeating the war. I left for campus this morning with an extra spring in my step, as I was 100% certain that I was going to come home to a kitchen that did not have trash thrown around it. I walked through my door all excited to see my "well behaved" puppy dog and not have to scold him, and what do I find, but a cowering puppy dog. I'm thinking, "what on earth could you have done that you know you are in trouble??" I make the turn out from my entry way into the kitchen and see the cabinet door open, the trashcan on the floor, my trash bag across the kitchen...and the childproof lock? Totally and completely snapped off. He was so determined to make a mess that he actually broke the lock. As frustrated as I was/am, I gotta hand it to him, that's some serious determination, and I mean, ok, in all honesty, it's pretty funny...CRAZY DOG! So...all you parents out there: what childproofing ticks do you have for those, errr..., way strong chil'ins you have/had running around..??? I'm thinking the magnetized ones, where you have to use the magnet to unlock the door?? Thoughts?

Ok, I had probably the best grocery shopping experience, yet. I went...to...TRADER JOE'S!!! And, my dear readers, it was positively glorious. Ten times more exciting than the day I first set foot in Rainbow. Oh, my heavens, it was just beautiful. I can't do all of my shopping there (it's just too expensive for some things, and they don't have absolutely everything...), but it's nice to have, none-the-less. I may or may not have splurged a bit...I got way good meats (including, but not limited to lovelies like prosciutto!!) , and eggs, and cheese, and yogurt, and umm...jasmine rice, and, and, and!!! And, then I went to Rainbow to get things like PopTarts...convenience still wins on some days...I did get my real coffee from Rainbow, though...Organic Coffee Co., how I have missed you :)



I think I found my new favorite thing to substitute for ice cream...soooo good, and it doesn't make me want to die!!


Ok, so what all did I make as far as dinners and things go?? I made some more jambalaya for last night's dinner and I'll probably make the rest of the week on it, if I can control myself and not keep eating the chicken spaghetti I made....it's just so good! And, I haven't made it in forever, and I like it. And it's cheesy, and it has Rotel in it so it reminds me of home, and it has Rotel in it...did I mention the Rotel??? K, as long as we are clear on that ;)


JAMBALAYA!!!

CHICKEN SPAG!! Pre set stage.

Well, my loves, here I sit with my vanilla honey chamomile tea, and I am thinking it is about time I get to getting ready to settle-down for the evening. I love you all, and I hope you've enjoyed this more up-beat post :)

Shalom & Blessings!
~MW

10 comments:

♥ S. said...

The magnets are DEF the way to go! They keep ANYTHING out! Jake has a good way of rationalizing...I know I'm not SUPPOSED to do it, but I WANT to do it so badly, that it's got to be worth anything that might happen consequently! =)

I can't believe that he broke it though...fer real?! I told you, too smart for 'our' own good!

Question: How do you keep him from flinging the cat box all around?! That was always our big problem. If he got 30 secs alone with it, it was 'clean' and there was litter all over my floor. We tried 4-5 different kinds: lids, the 'igloo' looking one, the one with the flap (that he stuck his head into, then got stuck trying to get out of and DESTROYED in a freak-out moment), front-loaders, top-loaders, side-loaders...what's your secret?

Love you!!!

skatej said...

I second the magnets. The little tabby things are hardly worth it for children even. Our medicine cabinet has that lock and it's wonderful. Kept Maga out.

Anonymous said...

You can come cook for me ANYTIME! :)

As for your moleskine issue: Do you have a barnes and noble near? THey carry moleskine.
BLICK ART MAT-ROSEVILLE
55112 St Paul
2389 Fairview Ave, St Paul, MN 55112, USA

Common Good
55102 St Paul
165 Western Ave N #14, St Paul, MN 55102, USA

EMPORIUM EXCEPTIONALE, I
55124 St Paul
8660 144th St W, St Paul, MN 55124, USA

MICAWBERS BOOKS
55108 St Paul
2238 Carter Ave, St Paul, MN 55108, USA

THE BIBELOT SHOPS INC
55105 St Paul
1114 Grand Ave, St Paul, MN 55105, USA

and many many more on the moleskine site. :)

Jake said...

Hands down a solid weekend! I am glad, I think that you were due! I hope the start is indicative of the rest! Have an awesome week, Heather!

Katy {and Kahler} said...

Yay for fun grocery stores that have so many fun OPTIONS! (something I won't really have again until next summer)

So good to hear that you had a good weekend. I've been praying for you.

I did have to google Moleskine but when I got there, I realized that I've heard so many good things about them.

And good luck w/ the Jake thing. One more reason I'm not ready to have kids... or a dog, for that matter.

Thanks for sharing your meals! It will be so nice to come home from a long day and not have to worry about what to make (which usually turns into "where to go" for me!).

Hope the week continues to treat you well. :)

Mom and Pop Pry said...

We have an H.E.B. Central Market in The Woodlands that I could spend the morning in just lookin' around. What fun! I'm gonna try the spaghetti recipe cause it sounds and looks yummy.

Hope you find the magnets you need SOON. In the meantime, maybe you could put your trash in the little plastic grocery bags and carry it out with you in the mornings so there's nothing for Jakers to go for.

Blessings on your day, sweet girl. Go and give it your all!

Love you! MomPry

Mom and Pop Pry said...

OK, just for the record:

1. Chili DOES NOT contain beans,
and
2. spaghetti does not contain chicken

Understand that we had spaghetti EVERY Saturday night as follows:
1 stick of butter per person dining
large button mushrooms
2 glugs of white wine
handful of Italian seansoning
corn starch to thicken
T-bone, sirloin or Ribeye steaks cooked on the grill
home made crescent rolls lightly salted, rolled in poppy seeds

NOTE: NO CHICKEN!!!!!!

The spaghetti was swimming in the italian herb butter sauce, you roll the spaghetti on a fork (cutting spaghetti was akin to having a dog inside the house back then), rip off a piece of the crescent roll to catch the butter sauce and then slice a hunk of meat (cooked over oak/pecan/pignut) and let you taste buds spaz out with joy.

unfortunately the secrets to the recipe died in 1975 and have not been duplicated since...
so, so sad

High Cholesterol was only an ethnic holiday back then!

I was a freshman in college before I saw the corruption of a tomato based spaghetti sauce...I was horrified and certain it was of the devil...

Chicken...no, no it just doesn't work with spaghetti. Some things are just not meant to be, like a hearty liver and beet casserole would just never make it at a hunting lodge, and you'd never sell chocolate covered hard boiled eggs on a stick at ballgames.....

I got no problems with King Ranch chicken, chicken enchiladas, chicken and dumplings, roasted, baked, grilled, smoked, stuffed, fried/strips/halves/quarters, chicken on a stick, chicken pizza, chicken sandwich or chicken salad (I am starting to sound like Forrest, Forrest Gump)...but spaghetti and chicken...

You are young and confused by foods, but trust a wise (and once fat) old man about this.

Second thing to remember with the Pry family:
MEAT
FIRE
GOOD

pretty simple, got it?

Pop Pry

Miss Willow said...

So many comments!!! Totally made my day :)

Sarah: Picked up the magnet kind today...I'm off to install them when I finish here. As far as the litter box goes...I think he is getting into it while I'm away (he hops the baby gate like he's stepping over a pebble...), but he's being very neat about it...I dunno. His mouth doesn't smell like a cat box (which has been typical of all of our dogs when they've gotten into the boxes at home), so I don't know, I'm slightly perplexed...maybe he's taken to brushing his teeth...haha.

Skate: CHECK! on the magnets :)

Mak: You're absolutely awesome. Guess I left out the part where I looked all over B&N and couldn't find the cahier ones :/ Thanks for checking the list of vendors for me, though! And, my dear, next time I get to see you for more than an hour or so, we'll totally cook (or, I'll cook and chat with you as you sit and watch, haha). Can't wait to talk to you SOON!!!!!!

Jake: It came to a decent close, indeed, which made for a nice start to this week :) Hope your interwebs don't go out on you anymore this week...it's the last week! Then it's nothin' but the path that rocks!

Katy: The options at Trader Joe's were indeed way fun...I actually thought about you as I was making my way around the little store and thought, "Someday, when Katy and Kahler are back from Africa, that girl and I need to make a feast of sorts together from store to table...yup, it needs to happen." So, just be thinking about that :) Thank you so much for your prayers, sweet sister. They mean more to me than you could ever imagine (ok, being that you are off in Africa, maybe you can imagine...but still...). And yes, being able to heat something up is a life-saver. I'm so proud of myself: I haven't eaten out due to laziness ONCE since I've been here, and that's saying something for me! Love you, precious friend.

Mom Pry: Central Market is hands-down a sliver of heaven on earth. I could spend hours (and HUNDREDS!!!) in that store. Thanks for the encouragement and love, as always :)

Pop Pry: Yikes! I think your comment is as long as my entire blog!! And, I have to disagree with you on the no chicken in spaghetti thing...don't knock it 'til you've tried it. It is in no way good for you, but the creamy, cheesy, Rotel-y goodness is enough to make your tastebuds go into a frenzy of pure bliss. Now, that said - the spaghetti recipe YOU described sounds positively heavenly. And, I think I will have to give it a go at some point. But, I am a poor (cash and time-wise) starving grad student and I have to work with what I got and what's simple and quick...such is my current life. Haha, I did enjoy your Forest, Forest Gump reference, though. And, I agree, meat + fire = good. But so does chicken + velveta + Rotel + cream of mushroom soup + spaghetti :D

Mom and Pop Pry said...

I see how this is going to work; two Aggies - one a strong willed and stubborn to the core post graduate college student and the other an old, weathered and seasoned curmudgeon (which is somewhat repetitious). How about you call your meal chicken PASTA. That will be truthful and I will imagine some nice wide noodles with cream of mushroom soup (3 stars) and Rotel tomatoes (4 stars) and hydrogenated vegetable oil with milkfat solids (velveeta 3 stars)and roasted or grilled chicken (2 - 1/2 stars), prepared with love (7 stars) and come up with a compound total of....... delicious! Just do not tell me it is long, thin, swirly Italian spaghetti and the world can be right....

Pop Pry

Miss Willow said...

Hahaha. Ok, Pop Pry, I think I can handle that, for your sake. (It's still spaghetti...but we don't have to call it that...) :]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...