Pages

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Jake's First Adventure in the WIL-DY-NESS

So, today was pretty great...not at all entirely productive, but meh, that's whatevs.

This morning we all (myself, BigBoy, the hissers, Jakers) woke up to a crisp, cool morning - seriously, I was sporting a hoodie, jeans, and socks. With the wind essentially gone from yesterday (which prevented us from playing after I left the lab), the conditions were absolutely perfect for taking a stroll in the park. So, off to one of the local dog parks we went. This place is just up the way from my apartment, maybe 2mi or so, so it's pretty close - bonus. The really cool thing about this particular park is that it has a few fenced-in off-leash areas as well as general walking paths (happen to be paved...nice for running. I'm thinking...I've found a good route - inclines and everything!!), so it works for everyone: if your out for a stroll with the fam/friends, going for a run, or if you want to take your pup(s) out to run around and play. Awesome.

We got there early enough today that we had to big off-leash area all to ourselves - fantastical. We had a blast. Played ball for a bit and then hiked around on the trails that have been carved out in that area...on such adventures is where the following video takes place, enjoy:





Well...after that I took my rather dirty pup out to the walking trail for some general strolling and perusing of the gorgeous nature that was surrounding us. I kinda geeked out for a bit looking at all the trees and decided that in my "fee time" one of my activities will be to flip through my National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees, Eastern Region. I just enjoy trees. Today I for sure saw red pines (gorgeous...also, turns out they are the state tree for MN...neat!), eastern cottonwoods, some variations of oaks I'm not familiar with, and some other things I need to look up. I was awestruck by the red pines though. Such magnificent organisms. I could have stood under them for hours just listening to their creaking in the breeze. SO cool. Here, look!





A little piece of heaven, for sure.

I also came across a lot of awesomeness like this:

Can't see it too well, but that's a swampy wetland!



Shelf fungus!!

We had a blast, to say the least. And Jake really enjoyed imagining himself running after all of the grey squirrels and bunnies and birds we saw...he's quickly learning the command, "leave it." It works for pretty much everything! And he's a fast learning - you can totally teach this "old dog" new tricks :)

After our adventure in the wilderness we headed home for a serious bath. And, I mean serious. I think I had him in the tub for a good hour...that's just how dirty he had managed to get himself, silly doggy. But now he's all glossy again and smells lightly of lavender, cinnamon, and patchouli - divine.

We were both rather tuckered out after all of that and pretty much took the rest of the day off. He slept, I played with the video editor I downloaded to put that little "film" together for y'all.

Tomorrow is a new church and I need to run up to the lab for a spell so I can back-up all of my files from my laptop onto my desktop there so I can send Yoshi off to Toshiba to get his CD-drive looked at and repaired. Which means, my dear readers, that once I send him off I'll be out of the blog world, at least as far as pictures and things go for at the very least a week...7-10 days is the estimated repair time. Here's hoping for less than that! But it won't cost me a dime - they're even sending me the box and postage to send it in, gotta love killer customer service :) While he's gone, I'll try to do updates from my comp at the lab, but those will probably be somewhat minimal...we shall see.

Now that I've told you all about today (er...now yesterday, I suppose...I really should be getting to bed, but I just don't think I'll be able to fall asleep...hmph!), I reckon I should fill you in on yesterday (Friday)!

Friday rocked. Like, really, really rocked. I spent a good portion of the day visiting and working with SW up at the lab, which was simply awesome. I love this woman. Aside from the fact that she's an incredible scientist, beyond accomplished researcher/author, and is a good teacher, she is positively endearing. Such a delight to work with - and, she gives hugs. This, I absolutely love. Especially right now...when hugs are rather non-existent (I NEED A CHURCH FAMILY STAT!).

We went over a lot of general stuff regarding Euchaetes morphology and I have a few specimens to dissect next week (super stoked...like you have no idea - morphology and dissections are what got me hooked on entomology; thank you, Dr. Wharton...I blame you for everything, in the best possible way!), which will be just great. Dissections will really help me get familiar with these critters and should give me a much better handle on it all when it comes to reading the literature regarding arctiids, in general.

After we finished running around collecting stuff for me to do next week, discussing papers, setting up rough meeting/researching schedules for the semester, and just plain enjoying one another's company, she went off to her other world a few buildings over and I got to working on some me stuff in the lab: setting up some things on my desktop (p.s. - I feel way legit having my own lab computer...I mean, I won't get to keep it when I finish in 3yrs, but now I don't have to store everything on my laptop! Aaaand, this thing has a huge monitor...it's gonna be awesome when I start making phylogenies! Holla!), scanning some lit (the department has a scanner that emails the scans to you in pdf form - so awesome...and, I have Adobe publisher on the desktop...WIN!), setting up my scope/dissection station, stuff like that. Yay! Love it. Love, love, love it.

Well, classes finally start on Tuesday...I'm less nervous about this starting classes this semester than I ever have been before...weird. In my head I should be way more nervous than any other time I've started a new semester - this is, ahem, grad school... But, I don't know, it's just kind of a, "Meh...here we go again...let's make those grades..." type thing. Weird. Really, really weird. Basically, God rocks. I really haven't had any nerve issues since I got here. Now, those last two months leading up the move, oh my business, was I a wreck?! Seriously, ask anyone - I was an absolute mess. But since I've arrived, especially since I started setting up my home and all that jazz, I've been surprisingly at peace with basically everything. I feel extremely comfortable and at home in Hodson (the ento building) and my lab. I'm extremely comfortable with SW - I'm still figuring out the thresholds and boundaries with our relationship, but that's to be expected, and everything is different in grad school, as compared to undergrad...that is taking some getting used to. I experienced some of that with Wharton once I hit my senior year and we were going to conferences and doing presentations together and then after graduation, but that was different than this too, because I'd known him for over half of my collegiate career...he had taken care of me in more ways than one. He's family, at this point. But, I digress. I love this environment - makes me a little nervous, to be honest - I don't want to do academia...I just don't want to, but I'm afraid I'm going to get sucked in... I've never entirely nixed the idea of a phD, I've just said that I don't want to do it - I don't like all the politics involved with professorship, especially in the science world. But hey, no need to worry about that right now. I have plenty of time to figure all of that out :)

Well, kiddies, I think I might be able to actually get some shut-eye now.

Love to you all!
Shalom,
~MW

7 comments:

Mom and Pop Pry said...

Great pictures, Heather, and the video is terrific. Jake in the bog made me laugh out loud! :) Yikes, what a mess. Hope you have time to blog from the lab cause I'd like to see some photos of your moths. Hope you have a blessed Sunday Sweetie. Cheryl

Jake said...

I am not sure if you know how much I love the fact that you chose AVA to play in the BG of your video! It was awesome! I am sooo happy that you found an awesome place to explore! You are all over my last blog and I love it! Have missed talking to you so much. About to take a walk to the little Melisa market. I am going to chill at IAVI this evening where the interwebs are :) want to hear about your church!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures, looks like yall had a blast at the dog park!
Good luck with classes this week! Will be praying for you! Miss you dearly, and hopefully we'll get a skype date in here soon so we can REALLY catch up!

Miss Willow said...

Cheryl: Thanks! Oh, he made me laugh, too. He was having so much fun that it was impossible to be angry with him. I think he gave his fun a second thought while he was in the tub, though, haha...he was less than thrilled. I don't have any of my specific moths yet, but once I start working with them and looking at them I'll snap some shots for the blog, fo sho. A blessed Sunday to you, too!

Jake: I mean, it was the perfect song...perfect title and everything - oh AVA, so GROOD! I've missed talking to you too! I almost didn't know what to do with myself yesterday afternoon :/ So...I interwebbed church today - had a pretty sleepless night last night. Lame. Hope to catch you while you're chillin at IAVI!

Mak: We really did have a ton of fun - so great. Thank you so much for the prayers, lovely. Gah, I miss you SO much!! We really, really need a Skype date asap. Love you, chickadee!

skatej said...

so glad things are going well!
Penny and I need to drill "leave it" a bit more...she can be really really stubborn!

Miss Willow said...

Skate: Penny will get it...stubborn as she may be, she totally loves you. Jake's still learning, too. LOVED Skyping with you last night!!! :)

♥ S. said...

Wow. What a messy dog! I can't believe that he behaves so well for you off the leash! Even in a fenced in area, he was never quite that obedient here. I never DARED let him off for fear that he'd never return. The boy sure does love to make a mess though. =) Was he a good bather? He doesn't usually care much for it, but he's usually pretty good. Not too bad on the shaking and all that.

Miss you guys! It's not quite the same around here without the Jakers. Leo's loving it, though! Milo, I think, misses his sparring buddy.

Have a good day in classes today!
<3 Sarah

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...