Pages

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Ah, the blogger world

...how I have missed you!

It's probably been about 4yrs since I officially had a blog I kept up with (micro-blogging doesn't count). I figure now is a good time to start back up again, seeing as how I am entering a new stage in my life: my victory half-lap! Yes, yes, I am about to start my final semester at Texas A&M University, home of the Fightin' Texas Aggies. A-Whoop! This semester will be like none other, I guarantee you that much. 90% of my community base of the last 4 years has graduated and moved on...that means that 10% that is left is about to become very important and that 90% that is gone is already sorely missed. While my "family" seems to have diminished here in Aggieland over the past 2-3 months of the summer, the doors are wide open to add in new members and become even closer with the remaining original members. Those that are gone are no less important to me than they were while here, but now we must suffer the remainder of our lives with indirect communication... Has anyone noticed that it almost seems more difficult to keep in touch with people with these seemingly endless forms of communication? I mean, there is the "classic" facebook, email/gmail, facebook chat, google chat, blackberry messenger, aim is still around, skype/skype chat, twitter, various blogging communities, and of course texting, phone calls, and the beautiful yet increasingly more expensive snail-mail........and that isn't even a fully exhaustive list, it is however quite exhausting to review! It almost seems that the more methods of communication we have the longer we contemplate the HOW to communicate with one another, as opposed to contemplating the WHO to communicate with. Very odd, this plugged-in world we live in - very odd, indeed. (Don't get me wrong, I'm, sadly, completely plugged-in, but when you stop and really think about how extensively we are all hooked up to electronics, it really is exhaustingly terrifying!)

Anyways, as I was saying, this will be a semester like none-other. I've decided that this semester I am going to be much more involved with my newly found church family. After 2 1/2 years of attending a lovely church here with my lovely college roommates I made the decision to search for a smaller congregation made up of members who hold one another accountable and are not afraid to call out a fellow brother/sister out of love and concern for their spiritual health. I found that at Living Hope last semester. While I have maintained a fairly low profile for about a semester I am now convinced that this congregation is the place the Lord wants to grow me in my final semester at A&M. I have already gleaned immense knowledge and understanding over the course of the last semester and this summer, and I am excited to finish out the "Genuine" series and to see what Butch has in store for us as the year progresses. The emphasis on family and oneness at Living Hope is an absolutely beautiful image at what Christ described the Church to be. The sense of true brotherhood I see and feel at LH reminds me so much of the descriptions you see in the New Testament from Peter and Paul, etc. People taking care of people in earthly and spiritual ways. I am truly blessed to have found this home.

School will be different as well. My main classes focus on the plant kingdom, as opposed to the animal kingdom...a little bit of a change for me, but an exciting one, none-the-less. I love plants!!! I mean, I only have about 5 or 6 in my apartment right now, but I love them! And, one of them I have had for over 6years - oh how I love my little money tree. Talking about my plants reminds me of the common phrase "stop and smell the roses." When you really do stop, even just for a moment or two, and look at the greens and reds and blues and yellows and purples, etc. all around us on this marvelous planet, it truly is amazing! I'm fairly certain that the majority of us take the plant world for granted, as something that will always be there, and we never have to worry about losing...even in droughts, it seems that plants are just expected to be around. Funny how we get used to having things and forget about how important and precious they really are. But I was talking about school!! Hmmm...yeah, it's gonna be a lot of plants! I'm excited.

Welp, it is late. I am tired. Work will be here before I know it (yay...). I'm off to bed!

Cheers!
~H.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...