Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Euchaetes, Euchaetes, Euchaetes

So...what will the rest of this week and, presumably, most of next week entail for me? A lot of reading, and a lot of scope work.

Ah, my dear scope, how I have missed you. It's been a little bit since I've sat behind the wheel of an Olympus complete with Leeds light source. So great. Today I got started learning my way around Euchaetes. SW and I discussed one of the papers she gave me to read and then I got to work at the scope. I spent a couple hours examining and sketching wings and wing veins and, ehem...genitalia. Sorry kids...you're going to have to get used to me talking about these critters' unmentionables, 'cause they are key in this study. Aaaand, I'm going to have know my way around them inside and out...neat! Haha. I'm excited.

This project is huge, and I still don't quite have a clue as to what all it will entail, but I am starting to catch little bits and pieces here and there. I can't wait to get that grant in my hands so I can actually see what "we" told NSF we would do with their money, hehehe. I'm not gonna lie, I'm stoked that I didn't have to write a grant for this - talk about awesome.

Gah, this research is going to rock! Once SW finds all of the lit bits and pieces I need {she swears there's reason to her madness - I believer her.} I'll {be much deeper into reading} be ready to go!

Not too much else to report for today...unreadable text message count is now up to 165... I'll probably never get to read them, le sigh.

For now, I will leave you with this:



I found this girl a few weeks back and I'm seriously amazed. Can I be her? Look how trendy she is! I don't think there's an instrument she doesn't play. Her voice is simply amazing. I mean, really. Here's on of her originals:



Enjoy!

Shalom :]
~MW

3 comments:

Mom and Pop Pry said...

WOW! She IS great! And I really like violins (any strings)(and drums):) so I like Clara's music. Thanks for sharing. Moths under a scope must be interesting, too. Hope you have a blessed day, Heather. Your post made me smile, a great start to any day!!

Stephen Powell said...

Is the species that you're studying Euchaetes egle or are you studying other species in that genus as well? That species is the only one native to Minnesota and what a beauty its caterpillar is:) And it feeds on milkweed, acquiring the cardiac glycosides, just like the Monarch, from the plant! And Clara's music is pretty awesome:)

Miss Willow said...

Prys: glad you enjoyed the post and musics! The moths are definitely interesting :)

Stephen: Eu. egle is one of the sp I'll be looking at, but from what I understand I'll be doing some sort of revision (genus or subfamily), so I'll get to look at the entire genus :] Yup,they pick up CGs and PAs (pyrrolizidine alkaloids) - SO COOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...