Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Magnificat

The Magnificat is Mary's Song (Luke 1:46-55). It was the theme of our service at church today. May I just say that I love The Magnificat. I've always loved the services that incorporate The Magnificat, but this Sunday it struck me especially deeply. Take a moment and read this beautiful piece of Scripture:

And Mary said,

My soul magnifies the Lord,
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.
For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
for he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name.
And his mercy is for those who fear him
from generation to generation
He has shown strength with his arm;
he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts;
he has brought down the mighty from their thrones
and exalted those of humble estate;
he has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent empty away.
He has helped his servant Israel,
in remembrance of his mercy,
as he spoke to our fathers,
to Abraham and to his offspring forever.

I mean, wow. My dad's sermon was based on The Magnificat, too. So uplifting! Totally picked me up and gave me an awesome renewed perspective. Made me ask myself some very simple, yet often times difficult questions. For example:

When God challenges me and commands me, when He turns my world upside-down, do I respond in humble faith and obedience, like Mary?

Too often, the answer is, "no." Sometimes I try to convince myself that I am responding in humble faith and obedience, but more often than not I complain. I cry. I whine. I ask, "Why me? Why now?"

There is absolutely no reason, whatsoever, that I should respond to my Heavenly Daddy in this way.

He will give me faith, courage, and joy as he turns me into a person I never planned to be.

He is faithful. He will provide. His plan is perfect. He is all knowing, all powerful. He's my dad!

Perfect example of all of this: for those of you who haven't heard, I have found a home in the FT! It seems like a pretty legit little set-up, COMPLETE WITH DOG PARK for Jakers!! Whoop! FTW!

I'm so excited about the move now...'cause I have a place to move TO! God is SO good.

So, kind of a scattered post, but wow, God blew me away today. Totally reminded me that I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to relying on Him...'cause, yeah, He's got this. :]

And, this weekend has just been way fun. I got to hang out with some of my lovelies from high school Saturday morning - so great. And then, Saturday evening I got to visit with my darling Humphreys. They. Are. Wonderful. Especially because we got to spend our last dinner together at CHUY'S!! WIN! So good. And, there have been wonderful skype dates scattered around in there - so, so wonderful. I am so blessed.

Well, I apologize for the somewhat scattered post, but my head is kind of spinning, in a good way! But yes, things are looking up, and I'll be on my way to the FT here in the next few days.

Blessings!
Shalom!
~MW

2 comments:

Jake said...

So so glad that you finally found a place to call home! I am glad that you are able to see the beauty in the way God works things out when you think that all is lost. I am sorry that you had to go through the valley but, I know that it has made the mountain you reside on now that much more miraculous. Miss ya, you are going to show that Frozen Tundra a thing or two :)

Mom and Pop Pry said...

Hi Heather. We're glad you and Jake have a place to land and we know you'll adjust to the changes ahead since you are trusting the Lord to guide you. You're a brave lady to travel so far. They must have a killer entomology/biology program in the Frozen Tundra. :) We love your posts, your humor and writing skill and look forward to following your adventures. Take care and stay warm. Cheryl and Pat Pry- "Momma" and "In the Corn" - Jake's parents

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...